Lighthouse Professional Services, a division of Staffing 360 Solutions group of companies, has been providing contract and direct hire talent to client companies, ranging from small businesses to Fortune 500 corporations for over 50 years. Our offices are in New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, and we work with clients across the country. Our management and recruiting teams are led by experienced industry professionals. We invest in excellent working partnerships, powered by people.
We are currently seeking a Senior Accountant for a client in Shelton, CT.
Either holds a current and valid certified public accountant’s license, or is working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the applicable state CPA exam. Or, has been appropriately exempted from this requirement by the partners.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Performs most work assigned with minimum assistance. He/she often leads a number of staff accountants, instructs them in work to be performed, reviews the work done, and directs necessary revisions. He/she is able to make decisions on all but the most unusual accounting, auditing and tax matters. When such problems arise, he/she outlines them for the manager, senior manager or partner and then acts on advice.
- He/she is able to set up time budgets on jobs previously handled and can lead staff accountants to employ methods that will accomplish objectives timely. He/she displays professional conduct, showing confidence and ease in the presence of staff and client representatives.
- Functions in a role between the accounting/tax staff and the managers/partners, to whom the senior reports. The position requires technical, client service, supervision, marketing, and administration skills.
Manager, Senior Manager and Partner
- Familiar with and adherence to the firm’s policies and procedures.
- Perform diversified accounting, auditing, and/or tax assignments under the direction of manager, senior manager and partner.
- Demonstrate competency in technical skills, work quality, and application of professional and firm standards.
- Drafts client reports.
- Establishes work schedules through effective use of project management techniques.
- Meet time constraints and client deadlines.
- Participate in planning and scheduling client engagements.
- Prepare and index work papers; perform various procedures established under generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to verify accuracy and validity of client’s financial matters.
- Keep manager, senior manager and partner apprised of identified risk management issues.
- Preparation of potential solution for identified matters prior to meeting with manager, senior manager or partner.
- Share and transfer knowledge within team and firm.
- Perform the broadest range of accounting and tax tasks so that direct participation of manager, senior manager and partner is kept to a minimum.
- Possess technical knowledge sufficient to supervise staff accountants. Provide consistent recognition and encouragement to team members and set an example by demonstrating high energy and ethical values.
- Perform detailed review of team’s work to ensure quality, thoroughness and completion of assigned tasks within agreed time frames.
- Review self-prepared financial statements, tax returns and work papers prior to providing for review, removing obvious errors and ensuring print formatting is established.
- Manage the implementation of solutions for clients.
- Begins acquiring the skills necessary to develop quality client relationships and loyalty.
- Ability to complete multiple projects simultaneously with limited assistance, ensuring overall success of each project.
- Actively supports firm initiatives.
- Identifies client’s needs/opportunities in order to sell/cross-sell products and services.
- Know and understand the reason behind the firm’s policies and procedures.
- Prepare other reports, projects, and duties as may be assigned.
If assigned primarily to financial statement engagements:
- Begin to develop a command of GAAP, other comprehensive bases of accounting, unique or specialized accounting principles, and financial statement presentations.
- Obtain a thorough understanding of generally accepted auditing standards, common audit procedures and techniques and accounting and review services standards.
- Thorough understanding of accounting research techniques including knowledge and use of various research resources available to the firm.
- Involved in the engagement planning process.
- Assume responsibility for efficiently supervising both audit and non-audit engagements.
- Proficient at preparing financial statements using the firm’s software programs.
- Provide ideas to improve client’s systems and operation during the engagement.
- Effectively communicate with client to receive information necessary to complete the engagement with a minimum of disruption to client.
If assigned primarily to tax engagements:
- Begin to develop a command of pertinent Internal Revenue Code sections and regulations.
- Become proficient at tax research including knowledge and use of the research resources available to the firm.
- Assume responsibility for the supervision of tax return preparation engagements.
- Prepare the most complex tax returns, including personal, fiduciary, and business types.
- Gain expertise in all firm tax software programs.
- Make presentations on topics within specialty areas, as requested.
- Through acquired expertise, perform as a resource in designated areas for tax questions and issues from both tax and A&A staff.
- Assist in developing staff through supervision and assistance in assigned projects.
- Perform formal training sessions for staff.
- Assist with tax administration projects assigned by managers and partners.
- Proficient in the preparation of corporate, individual, partnership, fiduciary, and other tax returns prepared by the firm.
- Assume responsibility for the completion of tax returns.
- Communicate directly with clients for tax preparation purposes (unless directed otherwise).
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or master’s degree in accounting or equivalent professional work experience as accepted by the partners.
- Hours of continuing professional education required each year as noted in annual development plan.
- At least three years of experience in public accounting with demonstrated assumption of increased audit and attestation engagement responsibility.
- At least three years of experience preparing all types of tax returns.
- At least two years of experience performing tax planning and research services.
- Proficiency with computer, spreadsheet software program, word processing program and calculator.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English.
- Either holds a current and valid certified public accountant’s license, or is working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the applicable state CPA exam. Or, has been appropriately exempted from this requirement by the partners.
- Strong technical knowledge and skills.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Team management skills – the ability to coach, motivate and direct a team of people.
- Team player with a positive ‘can do’ and ‘will do’ approach.
- Creative problem solving ability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in delivery of quality client service.
- A working knowledge of firm products and services.
- A general understanding of market trends (including opportunities), global and local business initiatives and stakeholder/competitor interests.
Key Success Factors:
- Demonstrated understanding of the business and the Senior Accountant role.
- Demonstrated record of retention and application of technical knowledge and skills.
- Quality of work output (complete and accurate).
- Project management skills. Meeting assignment objectives (timeframes, budgets, outcomes).
- Ability to co-ordinate and coach a team.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with clients.
- Participate in firm wide initiatives.
- Participation in recruiting.
- Interest in business and commercial affairs as well as civic and/or professional organizations.
- Team player with a positive – ‘can do’ and ‘will do’ approach.
Duration: Direct Hire
Location: Shelton, CT
Pay Rate: $75K-85K/year
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately!
Please include a clean copy of your resume, salary expectations and any references.
Submit resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Some clients require proof that temporary associates have received all required doses of the COVID-19 vaccine by their first date of employment, unless a reasonable accommodation recognized by law is approved. To request an accommodation, please email email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities