Newington, United States
about 1 year ago
Electro-Optics Development Engineer
Newington, NH, United States
This position is responsible for designing, specifying ,building testing the complete life cycle of optical modules (amplifiers, line monitoring equipment, command response equipment). This role will search for components, build, test, implement and support the product for manufacturing.
- Participate in product requirement and design reviews.
- Devise and develop new electro-optic modules and optical amplifiers for terminal applications.
- Simulate electro-optic performance using optical modeling tools
- Specify components, negotiate with suppliers and characterize fiber optic components to be used in above-mentioned modules.
- Plan and complete design verification and environmental qualification test regimes as well as write applicable reports.
- Analyze, interpret and present test data that validate optical module performance.
- Create manufacturing test requirements and transfer newly designed modules from R&D to manufacturing.
- Support manufacturing and provide field support throughout the life of such modules.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related degree required
Essential Job skills include the following:
- Minimum of 10 years of optical design experience preferred.
- Deep understanding of fiber optics, electro-optic equipment and communication systems.
- Knowledge of the design and function of fiber optic components and optical connectors.
- Substantial laboratory experience and desire to build, test and debug new optical designs.
- Knowledge of design (modeling) and test of Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifiers (EDFAs).
- Capable of assembly fiber optic modules (like EDFAs or test jigs) using standard assembly techniques (fusion splicing and fiber routing).
- Ability to test new designs and analyze measurement data to extract parameters and performance metrics.
- Familiarity with manufacturing test procedures development and being able to transfer designs from R&D to manufacturing.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, as well as presentation, planning, organization and facilitation skills.
The desired candidate must have a deep understanding of fiber optics, optical amplifier design, optical components, optical test methods, electro-optic equipment and communication systems. In addition, the candidate shall have substantial laboratory skills and experience devising, developing, prototyping and transferring new electro-optic designs into manufactured products. The ideal candidate will work closely with R&D and manufacturing groups and must have excellent speaking and written communication skills.
Desirable Job skills include the following:
- Develop software interfaces for automated test equipment and debugging complex test systems.
- Develop test control GUIs in windows and/or Linux environments.
- Use of C/C++, Matlab, LabView, LabWindows/CVI, and TestStand.
- Candidates must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident