Danvers, United States
over 1 year ago
Mechanical Design Engineer
Candidate will be responsible for the successful design and development of disposable medical device products; including but not limited to the products themselves, test fixtures, and manufacturing/process equipment
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the design of complex injection molded plastic parts and assemblies using Solidworks.
- Design, fabricate, and assemble complex test and manufacturing mechanical fixtures.
- Fabricate conceptual and working prototypes with use of rapid prototyping and internal/external machine shops.
- Generate drawings with good GD&T practices; release into Abiomed PDM system.
- Work with internal and external manufacturing partners to ensure producible designs.
- Modify off the shelf tooling and mechanical equipment to meet specific needs of the project.
- High School graduate or equivalent is required. Associate Engineering degree preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in R&D, Engineering, Product Development, or Machine Shop.
- Experience in operation of shop equipment including mill, lathe, drill press, band saw, and grinders.
- Senior level design and draft knowledge with Solidworks or Pro Engineer.
- Working knowledge of applicable drafting standards, experience with tolerance stack-up, and use of GD&T.
- Strong knowledge of polymer material selection, medical grade plastics, elastomers.
- 3+ years’ experience with disposable Medical Device Design is preferred.
- Design for machining methods including CNC mill, lathe, wire and plunge EDM, centerless grinding preferred.
- Design for plastic processing methods such as injection molding, extrusion, RF and ultrasonic welding, tipping, forming, and adhesive bonding preferred.
- Experience with designing and creation of injection molding tooling preferred