N. Billerica, United States
over 1 year ago
Performs mechanical engineering work that requires a high degree of technical competence. Conducts independent technical investigations involving the application of a wide variety of mechanical engineering principles.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate project tasks and schedules, delegate work to designers or drafters and support staff as required.
- Responsible for the design, prototyping, testing, specification and documentation of thermal processing systems, sub-assemblies and components. Responsible for the layout and detailed mechanical design and documentation of subsystems and sub-assemblies.
- Recommend materials and components for inclusion in design specifications based on experience and on catalogue reference data.
- Solve technical problems with equipment in the field, provide technical expertise to the Sales organization, work with and develop suppliers, interact and direct engineering activities.
- Strong understanding of 3D Mechanical CAD including detail drawings/models and applying large assembly management skills. Pro-Engineer/Creo5 preferred.
- Actively Participate in Design Reviews. Review designs with other Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, and Marketing personnel as well as equipment users to ensure that designs meet all requirements.
- Prepare and present written, oral visual material to support proposals, presentations, design reviews and written reports.
- Develop cost estimates for proposed projects which include labor and material costs.
- Plan perform or direct and document experiments to prove design performance. Deal with work-processes, optimization methods, and risk management tools in such projects.
Other duties and responsibilities
- High Temp material selection – A ceramics background would be a plus, along with corrosion experience.
- The understanding of Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics, including phase transitions & chemical reactions.
- Project Management skills, or willing to be trained in this subject.
- Provide the ability to bring together component or sub-systems.
- Some travel may be required.
Skills and knowledge, education
- Understanding of sheet metal and machined part fabrication practices and documentation standards.
- Strong ability to work with others and be an active part of a cross functional team.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 4 - 6 years of experience as an Engineer I or similar role