Mendota Heights, United States
over 1 year ago
Technical Infrastructure Architect – Role Summary
This role requires a talented and detail oriented Technical Infrastructure Architect (TA) who has experience in designing complex infrastructure (servers, networks, storage, cloud) and in assessment and deployment of COTS applications into a complex environment.
Working closely with IT colleagues on varying project sizes, and in a time sensitive environment, the TA should be keen to utilise their technical skills and experience to design robust and innovative implementation plans to deploy the applications in-scope, whilst remaining within the Group IT strategy.
The role may require some travel.
The Infrastructure Architecture team delivers the technical leadership, governance and infrastructure designs for projects, and demand for these activities is growing at a fast pace. This is a small, strong team that engages directly with wider IT support areas, business sponsors and frequently directly with Clients. There is a strong engagement with the principal technology suppliers, especially Microsoft and HP, and this provides opportunities for collaboration with them on new pre-release products.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Maintaining an awareness of the wider environment by creating and communicating standards, governance processes, approved architecture models, systems and technologies deployed and corporate and IT strategies.
- Acting as a key resource in the project lifecycle, from driving the initiation and infrastructure design, to overseeing implementation.
- Producing high level and detailed technical designs and documentation for complex technical solutions. Mapping requirements onto practical, maintainable solutions, taking into account cost, quality and complexity.
- Creating and maintaining a repository for infrastructure artefacts covering the infrastructure architecture continuum.
- Participate in Architecture design reviews and other technical governance forums across the organisation representing the infrastructure team across multiple projects.
- Assisting in defining and maintaining architectural, security and technical standards, reflecting evolving technology and emerging best practice.
- Providing ongoing mentoring to others in IT, including support teams.
Skills, Capabilities and Attributes
- Sound understanding of broader Data Centre technologies (Server, Storage, Networks, Server Virtualisation etc.)
- Experience of designing and deploying applications for Cloud platforms (AWS/Azure)
- Design and deliver multi-tiered application infrastructure, including designing changes to existing services.
- Understand and apply IT security best practice, principles and accreditations (ISO27001) to create high level and low-level design elements as per project requirements.
- Understand complex networking topologies and technologies.
- Strong communicator, capable of understanding business requirements and translating them into IT approaches.
- Create relevant build and design standards which promote re-use and also shorten the delivery lifecycle of infrastructure assets. Participate in architecture design reviews and provide appropriate architecture governance.
- Track record of successfully achieving project deadlines, budgets and quality standard.
- Industry certification and knowledge of architecture and delivery frameworks a distinct advantage (MCSE, CCNA, TOGAF, Prince2).
In depth experience of designing, securing, implementing and supporting enterprise solutions in a primarily Microsoft Windows environment, utilising:
- Microsoft Active Directory spanning multiple forests and sites.
- Core Microsoft technologies e.g. SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint.
- Deployment, configuration management and monitoring systems, such as Microsoft System Centre.
- Virtualisation of servers & desktops utilising Microsoft Hyper-V and Virtual Machine Manager.
- High availability and load balancing including Microsoft clustering and hardware load balancers.
- SAN storage solutions (HP 3PAR).
- Microsoft 365 Services and Solutions
- Infrastructure security platforms and tooling
- Secure File Transfer Platforms – Progress MoveIT
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.