Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer (direct hire)
Location: North Haven, CT
Researches, analyzes, designs, and tests component parts, processes, or systems to develop new and/or improve core products. Develops and recommends solutions to well-defined engineering requirements, or for components or segments of a complex product or system, to ensure that design objectives are met. Applies engineering principles based on assigned engineering domain (e.g. mechanical; electrical, chemical, etc.).
Scope/Supervision and Interaction:
Does Not Have Direct Reports
Primarily internal Parker contacts and with cross-functional teams; occasional customer interface.
- Develops detailed product specifications by analyzing performance and customer requirements. Investigates design factors such as function, materials, performance, interchangeability, cost, operational efficiency, and contractual requirements.
- Performs feasibility and trade studies applying standard analytic methods; recommends solutions which are defined and reviewed for implementation.
- Interprets and validates test results for accuracy and precision. Ensures conformance to product qualification procedures and parameters to achieve customer and product reliability and safety standards. May utilize and interpret predictive models to simulate and verify design concepts.
- Provides technical information for review with product engineering teams using established engineering practices, standards, and documentation methods (e.g. structured design process; customer design reviews). Writes supporting documentation for procedures and technical reports; may assist in writing technical proposals for customers.
- Contributes to the completion milestones associated with specific projects (e.g. create functional diagrams and system layouts; review detailed drawings and schematics; define data structure, interfaces and programming logic; analyze material requirements; research customer data item requirements).
- Reviews product specifications to ensure clarity, completeness, form, fit, function, and conformity to standards and procedures. Identifies design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, and recommends revisions, engineering change orders, and improvements to engineering management or the project team.
- Maintains current level of professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical publications, and/or participating in professional associations.
- Shares specialized knowledge with others. Assists in mentoring new employees. May represents the company on specific projects or engineering tasks.
- Bachelor's degree (BS) in an engineering or science technical discipline. Ideally Mechanical Engineering
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job typically acquired through related experience.
- Has working knowledge of engineering domain principles and techniques, product functionality, industry practices, regulations, and policies. General knowledge of other related engineering and technical areas.
- Proficient with engineering design and analysis tools (e.g. computer-aided design or modeling systems); ability to use standard software packages. May require capability using specialized software applications or languages.
- Ability to work with general objectives regarding projects and team goals; applies judgment in selecting procedures and techniques that should be applied. Works collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate status, actions, recommendations, and other technical information with clarity and precision. Responsive to inquiries from other engineering and business teams.
Lighthouse Professional Services is committed to the success of the companies, candidates and employees we serve. We invest in excellent working partnerships, powered by people.